From Nike’s iconic tick to Twitter’s chirpy blue bird, worldwide brands come with world-class logos.
But if you run a small business or brand online, how do you get a great logo as well?
You might not have the expertise. Or the spare time to find a good designer or learn yourself. And we’re guessing you don’t have pockets as deep as Nike.
Here’s the good news: logo makers are tools that allow you to make a professional-looking logos in a matter of minutes – even if you don’t have any graphic design skills. The best online logo makers mean you can get a stylish logo without breaking the bank. If you want to know how to make a logo, you’re in the right place.
Here’s a snapshot of how the best logo makers online rank:
What we do best here at Website Builder Chart is find smart hacks to help inexperienced techies create awesome websites – all without you having to hire a designer or developer!
Why? Because we were once in your shoes, struggling to get started. So we thought – “Um…there must be a faster, cheaper and easier way to make an awesome logo without hiring a graphic designer!”
That’s why in this guide we’ll show you the four best logo generators. We’ve used them ourselves. These designs took under five minutes to create:
By the way, those two logos we mentioned at the start? They cost Nike and Twitter $15 and $35 each respectively. Proof you don’t have to spend big bucks to get an iconic logo.
Before we dive head first into how to make a logo, let’s get some basics out of the way. A logo is like your brand ambassador – it represents and captures what your business is all about with a simple eye-catching image.
We’ll say it again: you don’t need to be a branding hot shot to get a great logo. But it is useful to think about your design first before you start using the best logo makers.
We asked our professional design team for some rules of thumb to bear in mind when learning how to make a logo. Here’s what they told us:
- Simplicity can be very effective – from the McDonalds golden arches to Apple’s… apple, keeping a logo simple can be very powerful. Logos can be just text or image, or a combo of both. If you pick a symbol, make sure it reflects your brand’s values. Limited color schemes make it easier to develop a color signature.
- Use simple graphics that are easy to recognize – don’t use an overly elaborate logo design. If an 8-year-old can draw your logo, you have succeeded.
- Make sure your logo is versatile – if you run a small business or brand online, you’ll need to use your logo in different ways. For example, on social media. One of the great things about the best logo makers online is that they show you how your design appears on things like products and business cards. So ask yourself these questions when making your logo design:
- Will the logo work in horizontal and vertical formats?
- Will it look good if it is in just one color? Or in black and white?
- Will it still be recognizable if it’s scaled down like on a business card?
- Choose a suitable icon – this sounds super obvious, but pick an image that reflects your brand. If you run an ice cream business, don’t pick a pizza slice. Less obviously, don’t pick an image with an abstract or complicated connection to your brand.
Designs that have too many colors or outdated icons that don’t work across different formats aren’t effective.
Before we introduce you to the best logo generators, take a step back and ask: who are your customers? What kind of brand do you want to communicate? Write down adjectives that describe your brand. Try sketching the kind of logo you want on paper.
Lastly, do some competitor research. Look at what brands you admire have done with their logos.
All this will help you make a decision when you have several logo designs to choose from. Picking a logo without doing it would be like trying to paint a portrait without looking at the subject first.
Now it’s time to introduce you to the four best online logo makers:
But first, how do online logo makers actually work?
Think of online logo generators as a robotic personal design assistant. You select styles, icons and colors that you like. Plus, you enter your brand’s name and your slogan. An automated tool then produces a range of logo options based on your choices and answers. You pick one you like and then get to customize it. All for a set price.
It’s that simple!
Of course, it’s not the same level of creativity as a real designer. But logo makers are a perfect solution if you need a professional logo, but:
- Don’t have the money to hire an experienced designer (we know budgets can be tight if you’re running a small business)
- Can’t design the logo yourself (you don’t have the tech skills to learn a tool like Adobe)
- Don’t have the time to hire a designer and manage the process
Most logo makers are free. They let you design a logo and download a low-resolution version without paying. However, if you want a high-resolution version and commercial rights, you will need to pay. Typically, though, the costs are as little as $10.
We’ve tried and tested these logo makers ourselves. The pictures included in each section are examples of logos we’ve created using each tool.
Having a logo is an integral part of growing a successful brand – both offline and online.
Thanks to a new range of clever tools, designing a great logo doesn’t take loads of time or bags of money.
Just to recap, the best logo makers on the market are:
When you are starting a new website or business, you might not have the budget to hire a professional designer. At least not until you prove your website can generate traffic and cash flow.
With a logo generator, you can hit the ground running right away, without the pressure to spend a whole lot (or anything at all).
All our best logo makers are free to try and some are paid. Play around with them and see what logo designs you end up creating and loving!
Wix is a fantastic tool because it’s so simple and easy to use, and provides you with a really great level of logo personalization. If you lack a little creative flair, Tailor Brands is a great option as it actually designs your logo for you.
If you do find automatic logo creators too limited, you can search for freelance designers on tools like UpWork or 99Designs. For more technically skilled users, tools like Adobe Illustrator can help you create a really unique logo for your business.
Once you have your logo, do your homework on patents and trademarking. The best logo makers online will not be able to issue copyright protection too. If you’re an American-based business, go through the US Patent and Trademark Office. You can then fill out the right forms and apply for protection for your design.